|File size||3.3 MB|
Intensive Basic Latin: A Grammar and Workbook comprises a dynamic reference grammar and related exercises in a single volume. The book presents forty individual grammar points, covering the core material which students would expect to encounter in their first year of learning Latin. Grammar points are followed by contextualised examples and exercises which allow students to reinforce and consolidate their learning.
There is a particular emphasis throughout on familiarising students with real, unadulterated Latin and the task of teasing information from the Latin via translations. To this end, there are matching exercises with unedited Latin excerpts and rough English translations in the chapters, encouraging students to take a hands-on approach in their learning. In addition to this, a short reading relating to the adventures of Hercules is presented at the end of almost every chapter; these readings, which become progressively more complex, give the course a strong sense of narrative cohesion and interest and provide students with opportunities to develop their comprehension and translation skills.
Key features include:
- Clear, accessible format and jargon-free explanations of grammar
- Many useful language examples
- Abundant and varied exercises with full answer key
- Controlled usage of vocabulary throughout, allowing students to concentrate on building up their grammatical knowledge
- Review chapters at intervals throughout the text, providing exercises specially designed to consolidate knowledge of language points covered
- Useful English-Latin and Latin-English glossaries at the back of the book
Written by an experienced instructor, "Intensive Basic Latin: A Grammar and Workbook "is an ideal resource for beginning students of Latin. It can be used as a textbook, grammar reference and practice resource and is suitable both for class use and independent study.